Taming Lion

(image credit : http://especiallyemilyd.blogspot.in/2010/10/lion-and-tigers-and-tamers-oh-my.html )

Last weekend I went to a mall and was playing with an iMac - what a beauty it is. Apps were loading with one click and they looked beautiful on a gorgeous display. 

I got home and checked my 13" Mac book pro which is nearing its complimentary 1 year warranty  ( debating whether to bite the expensive Apple Care or going Commando ). It was slow. Really slow. I longed for the spiffy machine I once used to have.

This put me on a hunt and meanwhile set up development environment in Windows and worked on it for a day to see how things are.

Here is the bitter truth - Apple Fans - OS X Lion sucks at Memory Management. The net is ablaze with cribs and complaints on how poorly Lion manages memory - inspite of Macs being blessed with super powerful processors and enormous amount of RAM.

Still I would vote OS X Lion to be the best in class for Productivity and by the amount of things one can get done all under one roof.

I could not work in Windows - even though it was blazingly fast and responsive - could not get used to the shortcut keys ( in spite of swapping the Control and Windows key ), kept rotating the monitor on some combinations, no quick look, Alt-tabbing was painful, no full screen... and most of all - there is no CLI. ( No - cygwin is not a CLI )

I got back to Lion and tamed it ( or rather Lion tamed me ). 

Here is a list of things I did to get back in shape - use it at your own peril.

1. Run as many apps as possible in 32 bit mode.

Do a Get Info ( Command-I ) on the program in Applications and choose 32 bit mode. Its a shame isn't it - but it reduces memory footprint
Safari
PhpStorm
Sparrow
Chrome
Firefox

iChat didnt launch in 32 bit mode. I switched to Sparrow - so not sure of the benefits / effects of Mail.

2. Remove all fancy icons from the menubar.

Here is a screenshot of my menubar - only Spotlight icon is there - couldn't remove it.


No Volume control, no Network Icon, no date and time ( useless since calendar never opens anyway ), no blue tooth icon, no display icon ( why did I ever have it there? )

The reason is to tame a process called SystemUIServer. This grows and grows and hogs almost a Gig of RAM. Now you can always kill it and recover some memory - but removing all the icons from menubar keeps this one at bay.

There are other benefits -  it is like being in a Zen like state - no distractions and if I want to know the time I do a date command on terminal.. feel like a true geek.

3.  Inactive Memory

This keeps creeping up and suddenly it would have taken more than a Gig - and what does it do - Heaven Knows ( Steve you there? ). Anyway there is a nice command "purge" - run it - system freezes for a moment and then you get back some free RAM.

Here is the before and after of running Purge - ( like those Gym Ads). Btw - this is the Activity Monitor icon tracking the Memory usage - what a nice idea Sirjee to use icons as indicators.



Did you see the Green ( Free Memory ) just eat into the Blue ( Inactive useless Memory ) - almost 600MB got recovered.

Now I work with activity monitor pie chart always on. When the green disappears I either run Purge or close down some unused Applications.


4. Close down everything

From the beginning of time - OS X does not quit when you close an application - it only closes the window. And these processes sit quietly eating 100+ MBs.. and these add up. Now I am retraining myself to do more of Command Q instead of Command W.

5. Turn off unwanted features - everywhere

The bloatware called iTunes has a social networking module, a sharing module, a DJ module, a Genius Module.... and so many which I never use - turned off all of them. Also shutdown dashboard, spotlight ( I am used to spotlight so not sure how i will fare ). Also turned off fancy animations etc. - even though we have been brainwashed into believing that GPU is the one that does all the GUI work - I refuse to believe this BS anymore - Lion is seriously broken.

There are 2 processes which will start hogging memory like crazy - LoginWindow and UserEventAgent and you will need to keep an eye on these 2 culprits and closing unwanted applications and turning off unwanted modules is the key I guess.


6. The Strange story of coreaudiod

Go ahead take a look at the CPU usage of coreaudiod - it will be singing why this Kolaveri D right now. It was using some crazy number like 50% and at times shot up to 120% ( I dont understand % more than 100 ).

Restarting it will jump right back to the crazy processor usage numbers. Folks at Apple Support forums advised to plug a headphone into the socket, some said remove Ambient noise reduction. I stopped the notifications sound also. Still no luck.

Then I started iTunes and the process dropped! Weird ! Now iTunes was consuming some crazy RAM - so I shut down and coreaudiod made a brief appearance and went away to its nice 0.0% usage.


7. Some good habits

I will be shutting down the laptop every night before going to sleep.
I will run the nice jobs Onyx has.
Will also not run anymore fancy apps ( Better touch tool you are an exception ).
I would also burn the installer to a DVD - i do not have the bandwidth to download 4GB - so I am unable to do a fresh clean install.

So thats it - looking forward to Mountain Lion and hopefully someone in Apple Team is working his Apple off in fixing the Memory issues.

And as we were speaking - my free memory has dropped to just 13 MB ( almost 4GB is being eaten up ). iTunes is now fighting for the crown.. ugh.Time to kill this sucker and run purge... all for the love of OS X.. sigh.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shahul Hameed still lives...

How to become a Java Developer?

Avalum Naanum Lyrics